The "Well Baby Dental Exam" provides for a parent the information needed to create optimum Oral Health and to guide dental, oral and facial growth and development. The goals and objectives of these visits are very similar to those of your physician's “Well Baby Exams.”
Starting early (with the first tooth) allows us to teach parents about the factors of excellent oral health before dental disease has the opportunity to begin. Well Baby Exams, of course, include the parents because only then can we share proper information regarding a child's health and development. Our objectives in discussions with parents include:
- Evaluating growth and development to verify normal and to acknowledge for the parents what to expect next.
- Evaluating risk factors for dental disease such as cavities.
- Coaching parents about minimizing risk factors and suggesting ways to maximize resistance to disease such as cavities.
- Coaching parents regarding diet to create a healthy biome (bacterial balance). Our goal is not only to create a healthy oral balance that is resistant to disease. It is also to establish a healthy digestive bacterial balance through the entire digestive tract.
- Discussing how Family Oral Health influences each child's oral health prognosis. Coaching parents about how they can improve their own oral health which will improve the oral health of their baby.
It is obvious why we believe having parents present at all dental appointments for their children is so important.
We clearly understand and firmly believe a healthy mouth, cavity free teeth, and a beautiful smile are possible for your children.
Cavities are the result of a very complex disease, caries. It is the very complexity of the disease that makes it so simple to intercept, stop, and even heal (without drilling).
Join us for an ongoing journey creating oral health for your child, monitoring and guiding optimum development of her/his bite and smile, and creating habits that will lead to a life time of excellent oral health.
The Toddler Oral Exam is similar to the Infant Exam, often done knee to knee like the Infant Exam. However, things are changing in their mouths; more teeth for instance that suggest different cleaning techniques. They are experiencing different foods that will create taste preferences, some for a lifetime. Paying attention here can have lifetime benefits.
They may have oral habits that warrant a discussion regarding proper times for parent guidance. And of course they are beginning to express their desire for independence. We offer help about nurturing the developing child while fulfilling the parental responsibility to insure good health. We have lots of ideas to save time while getting the job done. This is a fun time as the child begins to reach into and test the world (and test their parents).
Well Child Dental Exams are an extension of the Well Baby Dental Exams. Once again they are about creating and maintaining Oral Health. As children grow their mouths change and maintaining optimum oral health will change slightly too. Our objectives include:
- Coaching parents and children about slight changes in tooth cleaning techniques as the mouth grows.
- Coaching parents about dietary influences and challenges that will emerge as the child grows and how to influence them for optimum oral and bodily health.
Monitoring growth and development and counseling parents about what to expect, and how and when to intercept undesirable patterns (large overbites or crowded teeth).
Coaching an appropriate transition from parental responsibility for oral health to the child's responsibility for oral health. Creating an understanding with the child about oral health and disease so she/he will be able for a lifetime to make appropriate personal decisions about issues that will influence oral health.